In recent years cooperation on IT and Cyber Security has been developing between Japan and Estonia
- In December 2013, Japan-Estonia Policy Dialogue on ICT Policy and Cyber Security was held in Tokyo.
Link> Japan-Estonia Policy Dialogue (Dec. 2013)
- In April 2014, the 4th Freedom Online Coalition Conference was held in Tallinn, where Japan became a member of the Coalition and Mr. Jun Shimmi, Ambassador in charge of Cyber Policy attended the conference, representing Japan.
- In June 2014, the annual international conference on cyber security „CyCon“ was held in Tallinn (hosted by NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence) with also 12 Japanese public and private sector participants.
- From December 17 to 18, 2014, the First Japan-Estonia Cyber Dialogue was held in Tallinn where Japanese and Estonian participants had lively discussions on the topics including cyber security and “My Number (individual number)” system of Japan.
- From December 7 to 8, 2015, the Second Japan-Estonia Cyber Dialogue was held in Tokyo where Japanese and Estonian participants had lively discussions on the topics including mutual cooperation in cyber security, utilization of ICT, application of the international law on cyber space and capacity building.
Also, Japanese IT and Cyber Security people visiting Estonia have increased in recent years. Those are mainly Japanese government and municipality officials as well as representatives of universities and research institutions, companies and business organizations.